<<< Wednesday, January 12, 2005 >>>


Can I Get a Witness? Well, Can I?

Goddamn, ya’ll, a quick spin thru yonder blogosphere has got my head a-reelin’. I know this goes against everything I was taught in hipster school, but I’ll say it: there’s just too damn many cool peoples out there. How will I ever keep up? What to link to? What to just read? When to comment? When to shut my trap? Will I ever sleep again? Do I really need that 9-to-5? Or perhaps I’ll just take dehydrated1’s advice of yestahday: “The deeper human nature needs to breathe the precious air of liberty. Call in sick and huff yerself silly with the oxygen of the freedom.”

Firstly and fiercely, foxy digitalis rulez! Just how the hell is it that I’ve been missing out all this time??!! I can’t believe I’m only stumbling across this now, esp. when I’ve been all hellfired-up on the psychedelic tip for six months and counting! I like to think I get into some obscure shit, but this dude Brad, operating out of Red Oklahoma no less, kicks my ass from here to Albuquerque. And now my man is blogging, too. I reckon I’ll be spending a lot of time with the foxy d in the daze to come.

But not tonight. Too many places to go, too many people to see. Like Ian McKaye and George Clinton on Pancake Mountain. Unfamiliar? You GOTS to see this to believe it. Sort of a Sesame Street for the li’l indie kid.

I just read yesterday’s post over at 20 Jazz Funk Greats, jumped the hell outta my easy chair, and bum-rushed my vault of wax for The Eyeball of Hell and Cyborgs Revisited. (Inline) N/P: “Cyclotron”. Hells yeah, dirty Cleveland, old, weird Cleveland! 20JFG had me from the first line: “Just like American bloggers see European stuff as exotic and attractive we Europeans have the same mystical attraction to the American rock and roll myth.”

The Conversation All Of America Should Be Having. “An ongoing conversation between two friends. One went Left. The other went Right. Join in.” Now this is what it’s all about. It’s so easy these days to block out the beliefs and opinions of the other half of the country, that we end up living in a large echo chamber, only hearing those things which reinforce our own beliefs. Such is the downside of the New Media. But just when you think there is precious little room left for an honest dialogue these days, two guys have a conversation. (They even squeeze in a nice reference to the Velvet Underground vis-à-vis their revolutionary impact on the political scene in the former Czechoslovakia. All hail Plastic People of the Universe!) On a similar note but a larger scale, Let’s Talk America. It’s nice to see folks check their dogmas at the door and clink coffee cups with their political opposites.

Very cool extended interview with Rick Rubin in the Onion today. If you read my posts on Rubin and Cash last week (here and here), you can imagine how I’m feeling this. Lots of great anecdotes from the early days of Def Jam, back when it was little more than a glorified dorm room.

So...it’s 12:49 AM on an early Wednesday morning, and I’m crackin’ open another Pabst, knowing full well I gotta be at work in about six hours. Yikes! Dehydrated1, make me feel better! Console me...

The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience: Why don't Christians live what they preach? Hey, I didn’t say it—this is straight out of Christianity Today magazine. Makes for an interesting read, considering its source.

Come on (me), this post don’t need no commentary.

A brilliant cartoon that sums up my thoughts on Alberto Gonzalez in exactly zero words.

Here’s one for the armchair philosopher: Mihai Nadin on Anticipatory Systems. What is the difference between a falling stone and a falling cat?...I anticipate therefore I exist...What makes my life difficult is the appearance that I'm arguing against things that seem to be working fine...I'm an optimist, because I don't think that life deserves to be lived other than in a spirit of optimism...

I gotta give a shout-out to my boys on the message board at Subspace Platform Recordings. If you grew up in Peoria, Illinois, in the early-mid nineties, you’ll wanna be here.

Last but not least, thank you, Bloglines, I don’t know what I’d do without you.

Records of the Day:
Kemialliset YstavatVariseviev Tanssi/Silmujen Marssi
Jackie O MotherfuckerChange
Mercyful FateMelissa
Sunny Day Real EstateDiary
Milton NascimentoJourney to Dawn
Pretty ThingsSF Sorrow
Zerfas – s/t
Simply SaucerCyborgs Revisited
Electric EelsThe Eyeball of Hell
Ulrich SchnaussA Strangely Isolated Place
Mark LaneganWhiskey for the Holy Ghost
The Lassie FoundationPacifico
Fiendin' for more skullbloggery? Scour the archives: