<<< Wednesday, July 13, 2005 >>>


Greetings from Nebraska

From a one-star Howard Johnson's, the third and final of my three-night stand in Grand Island, and the first business trip in my short tenure at my new company. It's a far cry from the trips I took at my previous job: a month, off-and-on, in Los Angeles, a four-day weekend in NYC, a coupla days in Vegas. This is a different ballgame. I’m in a weird place. Here, boredom and restlessness reign, and a disdain for chain restaurants is not a useful commodity. My short time here has actually led me to appreciate the dining scene in good ol' Peoria, my once-again hometown. But I’ve put the HoJo pool to good use, and have certainly enjoyed the mullets I’ve seen around town.

I wouldn't have foreseen this: a rebirth of Unfinished Novellas? Several months ago, the new mp3 blog seemed so right. After two months of brainstorming, Doug and I finally nailed down a name upon which we could agree. But as time passed, it became obvious my heart was no longer in it. It seemed impossible to keep up with, even with a co-blogger.

And now I realize, without a doubt, it wasn't blogging per se that I was so sick of, it was writing about music! After nearly four years of writing music reviews and articles for Skyscraper magazine, it only took a few months of strict mp3 blogging for me to lose my way. No more music journalism, no more writing for an audience. What I’d like to do now is take away the pressure, and just write whatever I feel like writing. I can’t focus right now, and I don’t want to.

More later. Maybe.


N/P Audrey Hepburn in Green Mansions




In my head: "Moon River"
Fiendin' for more skullbloggery? Scour the archives: