<<< Saturday, February 19, 2005 >>>


Bumpin’ Elbows With the Stars

Happy weekend, everybody. I'm jotting down this post between glances up at the Illinois/Iowa game on the tube. Nothing like an undefeated season to rekindle one’s interest in college basketball—I know, lame, right?— but honestly, I haven’t paid much attention to the Illini or college basketball since the days of Kendall Gill and Nick Anderson…and when was that, ’89 or somethin'? As of this writing, the Illini are down and not shooting or rebounding as well as usual, but on the plus side, it’s shaping up to be a good game.

Anyhow, I got a big day ahead of me. After the game, lots of errands to run, ebay packages to get in the post, taking my turntable into the shop (and another component bites the dust), trading in some discs at Wax Trax. Then Jodi and I are out on the town—first for a nice dinner somewheres, then we’re heading downtown for The All-Star Weekend Super Party, co-hosted by Allen Iverson and Catino Mobley.

Yep yep, it’s All-Star Weekend in Denver, and this town is bumpin’ somethin’ fierce. TV crews and cameras everywhere, press passes goin' around, scores of parties every night, and a shit-ton of sports legends, movie stars, and hip hop heroes in town. It’s one of the biggest things to happen to Denver in quite some time.

One of Jodi’s co-workers, her husband happens to be one DJ Cee Why, a DJ for The Ground Zero Movement in Denver, who is manning the turntables for Iverson and Mobley’s little shindig tonight, and she scored us a couple of tickets. There’s a “special celebration” going on for Donovan McNabb, and other invited guests include 50 Cent, the Neptunes, Lebron James, Terrell Owens, Shaq, Dr. Dre, and Jermaine Dupree. So, depending on who actually shows, we may be bumpin’ elbows with the stars tonight!

Apparently this friend and her husband were hangin’ at the Brown Palace early Friday morning with, among others, Ludacris and Lil Jon. They were all asking her where she worked, and when she said “Corporate Express,” Ludacris piped up, “Yeah, I know Corporate Express…I used to work at Barnes & Noble, and that’s where we got all our supplies.” “You used to work at Barnes & Noble?” she asked. “I ain’t always been famous,” he replied.

So anyway, Ludacris is a cool cat, which works for me, cuz he’s one of the handful of contemporary mainstream hip hoppers that I really like a lot. Not so, the hometown boy Carmelo Anthony, who’s apparently a dick. Or at least that was the word around town that night. Methinks he needs to take some pointers from his buddy Lebron.


Anyway, no mp3s here today, but I’ll point you to the following:

  • Check Cool Hand Bak for his write-up on Sweden’s Hip Whips. I would’ve blogged these guys eventually, but Bak beat me to it.


  • Go to The Cool Out for another obscure nugget made famous by a DJ Shadow sample.


  • Check out this cool promo video from the Congo's Konono No.1, who’ve been rockin’ my world all week!


  • And last but not least, download the debut podcast from the great Brad Rose and Foxy Digitalis.


N/P The Illinois/Iowa game
Fiendin' for more skullbloggery? Scour the archives: