<<< Wednesday, December 01, 2004 >>>


Did I Mention This Thing I Have for Rock n’ Roll?


About a week ago I won a vinyl copy of The Misunderstood’s Lost Acetates 1965-1966 on ebay, and when I received my email invoice, I found the seller to be none other than Karl Ikola, the man behind Anopheles Records and one of my favorite reissues of all time, Debris’ twisted punk classic, Static Disposal. A few years back, I happened to pick that LP up, sound unheard, having hardly a clue what I was in for—all I knew was that it was on the Nurse With Wound list, and in general, that’s good enough for me.


I liked this record so much I ended up writing a big piece on it for Skyscraper, what was basically an extended-length review, and that’s when I first touched base via email with Mr. Ikola, who kindly sent off the CD copy of the Debris with all the liner notes and bonus tracks, along with a Twinkeyz album for review, noting my vinyl preference. And now, along with the Misunderstood LP, he included a copy of his latest release, an unearthing of the heretofore unknown Homestead & Wolfe.

Originally released in 1975, Homestead & Wolfe's lone and unknown privately pressed LP is an artifact so lost to time, it has never appeared in any discography, list of rare records, or catalog, anywhere. However, exist it does, and now their story can be told.

More on this later. Btw, Karl, I hafta hear Public Nuisance and the Spike-Drivers, among others!

So this is my first listen to the Misunderstood, besides their track on the Nuggets (I or II?) box, and with just one listen I can say with certainty that everything I’ve heard about these guys—it’s all true. The Misunderstood was definitely one of the best bands of the sixties.

It really is astounding the music that continues to come to light these days—recordings thought long since lost or destroyed, or, as with H&W, not even known of. Old YaHoWha sessions dusted off for the 21st century, baby. But what I really want to hear is Cold Sun - Dark Shadows. Someday, someday.

Alan thought I would enjoy the blog of David Byrne:

Thought you might enjoy this, it's appropriately simple: http://www.davidbyrne.com/tour_journal_04.php

And I did. There is something very human and personal about all of this cyber-writing.

'Blog' Tops Dictionary's Words of the Year.

This will be amusing to anyone who has ever seen my drivers license.

Wedding Present reunites

Why Wal-Mart is Struggling

What Goes Around Comes Around:

OZZY Osbourne's former partner in crime last night branded the star a hypocrite for having a go at the thieves who ransacked his mansion. For while the rock legend made his millions by breaking into the charts, his earliest paydays came from breaking into shops, factories and innocent families' homes. Ozzy blasted the burglars who stole wife Sharon's £2million gem collection this week, but his old mate Paschal Donoghue told us: "He should remember he started out on the wrong side of the law."

And this, from Parasol:

Scottish indie-rock sensations Franz Ferdinand have pulled out of a cameo in the next Harry Potter film, because of "scheduling problems" such as their current tour. The boys were to portray the rock band The Wyrd Wizards in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, but will no longer have time. Androgynous Pulp front-man Jarvis Cocker, already providing music for the film, has stepped in as a replacement, alongside Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood, both of whom should require minimal costume or make-up for the role.

Countdown to the Arcade Fire: almost exactly 48 hours. Check out my main man Jason Heller's Westword writeup here.

Problem: too many records, not enuff time. But you do what you can.

Finally, on the turntable this evening:

The MisunderstoodLost Acetates 1965-1966
The ActionRolled Gold
ComusFirst Utterance (bonus 12")
Paul & Linda McCartneyRam
Ricky NelsonLegendary Masters

Fiendin' for more skullbloggery? Scour the archives: